“I really need God to step in and help me in this marriage.” vs. “God isn’t concerned with your marriage; you both should just walk away.” “I made a vow before God to remain committed to my husband.” vs. “God wants you to be happy so He’ll understand if you have to cheat just this one time.” “Today, I will not get into an arguing match with him, but rather express my concerns in a calm manner.” vs. “No, you need to scream and yell because that’s the only way that you will get his respect.” Those are just pieces of a never-ending dialogue and one of the many battles that go on in my mind on a daily basis. In this particular battle, I’m trying my very best to honor the covenant that I made with God and the man He made for me and I’m meeting opposition at every angle. It almost seems as if the more I try to do the right thing, the more the wrong thing rears its ugly head. I often ask myself and God what is really going on with this situation. Then I open my Bible and read Romans 7:21 and it reminds me that I am not alone in this battle for Paul experienced this very issue. “So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.” How profound is that! Right there in my mind, evil is raging a war against the good. Some days I literally feel a tussle in my spirit and it’s the Holy Spirit dwelling in me wrestling with the evil opposition. I am almost certain that you are facing a similar battle. If you were to be 100% honest with yourself, there is a war zone in your mind as well. There is some issue where evil is trying hard to overcome the good in your life and you are trying everything in your might to fight the battle. For many us, a lot of the battles have been lost but if you are anything like me, you hate losing—and you REALLY hate losing a battle to that enemy’s camp. Fret not, with the 5-step battle plan outlined below, we are going to be able to take control of the battlefields in our minds and win the war!
- Recognize the type of battle that you are fighting and who the REAL enemy is: For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:12) I had to realize that I had been spending more time fighting my husband as if he was the adversary. This misdirected focus had caused us to bicker while the real enemy was steady moving in closer to our camp.
- Understand that we do not fight like everyone else: For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. (2 Corinthians 10:3) Again, our fussing and fighting is how the world goes to war. Real soldiers in the Army of the Lord are too busy fighting satan and diverting his attacks to be turning on one another.
- Dress for the battle: Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation…(Ephesians 6:13-17a) No wonder I was feeling EVERY shot that was fired in the battle; I wasn’t suited up properly! Truth, righteousness, peace, faith and salvation all seemed to be tucked away in my closet whenever my husband and I were having a disagreement. Really, who goes to war without the proper garments?!
- Know what artillery is needed: The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. (2 Corinthians 10:4) Take… the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:17b) I have often heard that no one takes a knife to a gun fight, but that’s exactly what I have been doing in the spirit! I’m busy using MY words against the enemy but the sword of the Spirit is the Word of GOD! Get in your word so that you have the ammunition when you need it!
- Demolish the opposition and take your thoughts captive: We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5) Winning a battle in our mind means that we literally have to defeat ANYTHING that is in direct opposition with God. For me this meant destroying thoughts like “God wants you to be happy so He’ll understand if you have to cheat just this one time” and making them obedient to Christ and His word.
I really want to do the right thing but evil always finds a way to seep into my mind. Please help me to prepare for the many battles that I will encounter. Teach me to study your word so that I will be armed with the most important weapon for spiritual warfare. Please give me the wisdom to know how and when to fight, the courage to go to war in the spirit and the strength to endure the battle. In Jesus’ Name, Amen!
Ladies, today I EMPOWER you to refuse to let the enemy win the battle in your mind. EMPOWER your fight by ensuring that you are prepared for the battle.
Mrs. Kristen Harris is a wife, mother, entrepreneur and dedicated servant. She is extremely passionate about women’s spiritual advancement, hence the founding of EmpowerMoments. As an avid reader, Kristen enjoys reading the Bible more than anything. Her driving inspiration is when God says to her: “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) She currently resides outside of Chicago, Illinois with her wonderful husband and two lovely daughters where she is an active member of New Life Covenant Church.