It’s the God in Me

It Ain’t What it Look Like…

We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. (2 Corinthians 4:8-9) For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:17-18 NIV)

When I turned 30 I was a tad devastated because I just knew I was entering this new world of “Divashness”. But what I ran into was a sensitive marriage, an extra 80 pounds of weight, health issues, low self esteem, and not sure of where my life was headed. On December 28, 2010 I made a decision because I looked depressed. I paused and took a moment with God and poured out my heart and asked God to “Create in me a new heart and renew a right spirit within me.” Psalm 51:10 (KJV) I began to get deeper into prayer and began to slow down my chaotic life of being so busy. I began praying continuously, without ceasing so I could hear Him. I prayed getting dressed, driving to work, watching TV, eating dinner, and teaching my classes. I took “internal, eternal worship” to a whole new level in my life because I knew He could restore me. Months passed and one day my aunt said, “It’s something new about you.” By then my marriage had strengthened because I was listening to God as how to act, respond, and love my man. God gave me a sense of drive to lose weight (36 pounds to date) and exercise more. I even ran a 5K! I got bold and cut off all of my hair and started wearing a cute asymmetric cut to refresh myself. So why am I sharing all of this?

We don’t always have to look like we are down trodden because we are going through a disaster, but seek God and find joy in the midst of it.  Hasn’t God covered you, your mess and your embarrassment?  This fact is enough to EMPOWER myself. Sometimes all I can say is, “It’s the God in Me.”  The God in me is what makes me feel like a million bucks when I only have one. It’s the God in us that’s making our marriage as blissful as it is even when we aren’t sure if we are doing it right. It’s the God in me that makes being a mom look so “cute” and “fun” when I really feel inadequate.  It’s not me, not my deeds, not my actions, not even how I worship and pray, but God’s grace and mercy that has made Him show favor towards me. This is the “something” that my Aunt saw. It’s not me at all, it’s God, and for this I owe Him.

I selected “It’s the God in Me” to celebrate Black Music Month for a couple of reasons. When I’m jogging and I hear this song, I almost cry because only God could have turned me into a runner. People think that I am simply motivated, but not so much. I prayed for God to give me this drive. Not only that, but this song is so “divafied” that I feel encouraged that God has covered so many of my raggedy characteristics and made them look “polished.”

Dear Daddy,

Thank You for Your grace. Thank You for being a sustainer in the time of trouble. Thank You for being a strong fortress when I feel weak. God help me to share my story so that others know that they don’t have to feel beat down, but can walk in confidence knowing that if they have You, You will supply every need. In Jesus’ Name, Amen!

Girlfriend, I EMPOWER you today to hold your head high in confidence that the God in YOU is what will keep your smile when it really is a frown. The Bible says, “Greater is He that is in YOU, than he that is in the world.” (1 John 4:4 KJV)  So don’t look beaten, because you aren’t. Jesus encourages us during times of sacrifice and fasting, “But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:17-18). Get a new tube of lip gloss, smack those lips, and walk in the beauty that God has blessed you with. The Potter is on the wheel and while you are being molded, relax, let it flow, and strut in God’s promise to never forsake you! What they don’t know won’t hurt them right? But we know, “It’s the God in Me!

Those shoes are my motivation pair. When I’m down, I strut around the house in them, just because they make me feel cute!

Celebrate Black Music Month and rock out to “It’s the God in Me”:

Be sure to check out our monthly contest by clicking here

(Multiple choice options have been added to help you!)

As a professional, Mrs. Khalilah Burton is College Biology Instructor. She is also currently pursuing a Doctorate of Education in Higher Ed and Community College Leadership. Khalilah is passionate about her faith journey and uses this key scripture as her inspiration: “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” Hebrews 11:6.  She teaches Young Adult Bible Study and Sunday School and also serves as a guest speaker and panelist for various events for women and Christian empowerment.  Khalilah resides in Huntsville, Alabama with her wonderful husband Donald Burton, Jr. and their energetic three-year old daughter where they attend St. Luke Christian Church.

Advertisements

24 thoughts on “It’s the God in Me

• Kay Burton says:

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEY Brandi! Thanks for stopping by. In college you were so good at this. As friends you would share your issues with me, but a person on the outside would never know because you were so nice……to everyone!

• Kay Burton says:

Honey, you know you are one of those Divalicious chicks too! But the truth is, we all get down sometimes………………but down AND out, is NOT and option! I’m glad you enjoyed the blog, God bless you!

• Kay Burton says:

Hi Justin, thanks for stopping by. In your case, I’d say: “Pop your collar, and walk with the boldness of your Godly Swag!!!” His strength is made perfect in your weakness!

1. Gello says:

YES, YES, YES!!! I LOVE IT!! It’s the God in me, that make the people around me, think I have it all under control. When they hear me humming, they think it’s because, I’m happy ALL the time, and NOTHING bothers me. They don’t have a clue. I’m always humming to myself, because I have peace in knowing that, GOD IS IN CONTROL, and I refuse to worry. The God in me, has never allowed me to stay down, for more than a few minutes. Let the tears flow, wipe the face, and keep it moving….Thank you Lord!!

• Kay Burton says:

Gello, I like that Girl!!! I think I need to start “Humming”. Shucks, I might hum myself into shouting mode!

Love it! Thanks for posting!

2. See. Lundy says:

Kay I can relate to this post on so many levels. The weight that I picked up during college that leaves and comes back. Not “feeling” myself like I usually do. The list can go on but often I just have to suck it up decide I am either going to do something about it or wallow in a pity party. Although we all go through it, pity parties are not good looks for people who are constantly talking about “their God.” I think it behooves us to represent our father well letting people know that no it’s not me…but it’s the God in me. Great post!!

• Kay Burton says:

Even if that pity party is needed for a moment, I have to give myself a timeline…………cry it out, get it over with, and get those pumps on, lol.

Chancee, you inspire me to keep going! Thanks so much for your support, God is blessing you!

• Kay Burton says:

Eagles! Thanks for stopping by. We are both in the fight to hang on and through Christ’s strength, we will be able to.

3. Nakita Lee says:

Wow, impressed is an understatement. Those words touched me on so many levels that it is almost unreal. I fight with many things within myself that only God knows but it seems as if you saw into my soul and read my spirit. Thanks.

• Kay Burton says:

Kita, by now you should know that we are connected (positively) in so many ways. God’s word is just one time period. Eventhough I wrote this a week ago, I needed it today to get me though. I am grateful to know you and I appreciate you warm spirit. God bless you always!

• Kay Burton says:

I should have taken my own inspiration and ran yesterday, instead I ate about 8 hot wings, lol. However, God is so good because I remember the time I would eat an entire bucket of 20-30, the fries, and the soda. But God said “enough”. If this body is my temple, why treat it like this. That quickened a few things in this drive for health.

I’m glad you liked it. This song I really like because it continues to remind me, “In all things, give God praise!”

4. Dee says:

Mrs. Burton, I actually read this yesterday and today, had to read it TWICE because it was that engrained in my spirit. Felt your post really, really spoke to me and blessed me as I’m struggling with weight issues myself. I never actually thought to pray about asking for will power, thought that was something that I “should” have myself so why bother God with it, you know??….but your post put it all in such a different prospective for me…it gave me an AHA! moment. So much was crystal clear to me in my mind….I got it now, I really do. I’m so excited for the “New Dee” that God has in store for me. Thank you so much for the blessing I received….gonna put my GOD shine on!! YES I am!! God bless you.

• Kay Burton says:

Dee,

Thank you for stopping by. Your reply has tugged my heart because I remember being there. Feeling like “God has to heal the broken hearted, why worry him with something I’m supposed to be controlling.” But that’s the thing, we don’t control our selves, the holy spirit should. I realized that I had an issue with self control. (Galatians 5:22-23). How can I be on a quest for God and speed bump over this principle? I started seeking him to show me what to do, how to learn it and guess where the first issue was…………FOOD!!! Because it didn’t judge me. Food became my “god”. When I was sad, I went to food, happy – went to food, mad-went to food, bored-went to food, confused – went to food. How could I have consulted God when I was eating all the time? That was my “ah-ha”. Now don’t get me wrong, this is something I am “learning”. I still have the desire to go to food, but now I can actually hear the voice of reason make me choose something else, like “DEALING WITH THE ISSUE” (I insert a laugh here because that’s still a struggle). Joyce Meyers inspired me to pray for will power, that’s how she started her weight loss journey. I am glad to have been able to pay it forward. Stay in the race, you can do ALL things through Christ………even lose weight.

Kay

5. kiea says:

Never know when someone out there is feeling the same way you are…Thanks for sharing! I did think you were a super motivated person. You make us other mom’s (me, specifically) look like slackers. I pray for everything else except that drive to actually get up and do something about my “pitifulness” such as weight, the balancing act of parenting and working. I feel like a loser most days but try and cut myself a little slack. It’s just always refreshing to know when you’re not alone! Brave thing you did-sharing:)

• Kay Burton says:

Keia, I tell you, I am super motivated (wink) but its a motivation of not being afraid to fall because I know God is there. I don’t want you to ever think you are alone. We all have insecurities and short comings, but God fills in ALL gaps! Hang in there. I’m glad you were encouraged to know that you are NOT alone. You and I have the same struggles. Take your insecurities to God, through Him, you’ll be strengthened.