Bag Lady…Let It Flow

I must confess I am a certified pack rat but I get it honestly from my grandmother. I am not yet a hoarder but I do have a problem letting things go. It’s difficult for me to get rid of things because everything has some perceived sentimental value. Yes, even the stuff I forgot I owned until it was time to move again.

Unfortunately, this habit of holding on extends beyond physical objects. Every now and then, I realize that I am holding on to emotional baggage too. As a matter of fact, if you could see the baggage, I am sure it’s enough to fill its own storage unit. Just like the physical objects that I own, I often don’t realize the emotional bags that I am carrying until something triggers a memory. Recently I found myself extremely emotional over things in my past that I thought were no longer an issue. Apparently these feelings were buried alive and had never died. When these feelings erupt, I have a meltdown or become seriously angry.

How many of you, like me, are riding on an emotional rollercoaster? Your back is hurting from all of the bags you are carrying and your mental space is crowded.  We can’t reach higher ground in Christ, meet our full potential or have a great relationship with the person God called us to be with until we release the baggage of our past. In the words of Erykah Badu “You can’t hurry up, cause you got too much stuff.” We need to LET IT GO!  Cast ALL your anxiety on Him because he cares for you. (I Peter 5:7 NIV)

Are you carrying bags of anger, shame, fear, guilt, distrust, malice or rejection?

I can’t believe that he or she did me like that!Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:19-21 KJV)

But Lord I am scared! What will happen if I…?-  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (II Timothy 1:7 KJV)

Lord, I am so ashamed how will I ever get over the mistake I made? – he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:19 KJV) Decide to forgive yourself; God has already forgiven you!

I am reminded of Toni Braxton who tells us to “Just let go, let it flow, everything’s gonna work out right ya know…” Toni is right; holding on to excess stuff gets us nowhere. Make a decision to rid yourself of baggage because “aint no feeling like being FREE”.

Dear Daddy,

I trust that You hold my future in Your hands. Help me to get rid of the pain of my past so that I am free to walk into my future. Help me to forgive myself because You have already forgiven me. When negative emotional currents try to overtake my spirit help me to rebuke them and release them never to return. When others do things that would add baggage to my life, Lord, let it roll off like water off a duck’s back. Lord, help me to get my mind under subjection so that I can truly be free. In Jesus name, Amen!

Ladies, I EMPOWER you to LET GO! Make a decision to cry your last cry over whatever it is and move on. Leave the baggage behind and stop picking up new bags along the way. From now on deal with the situation in the moment but don’t take it with you. I EMPOWER you to know the things that you can change and the things that you cannot. Seek God’s wisdom and let Him order your steps. This is your last day as a Bag Lady!

Celebrate Black Music Month with the wisdom of  Erykah Badu in “Bag Lady”

and Toni Braxton as she tells us to “Let It Flow.”

Enter this month’s contest by clicking here.

Ms. Chancee` Lundy currently resides in Atlanta, GA and is an entrepreneur as she is the co-owner of Nspiregreen, LLC an environmental consulting firm. She is also a dedicated daughter, sister, friend, community servant, and child of God. She is passionate about causes that truly uplift the community. This week she is leaning on Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want.

Advertisements

26 thoughts on “Bag Lady…Let It Flow

• See. Lundy says:

Thank you Kisha! I am glad this blessed you. I struggle with this all the time and for a while thought I had it figured out until I just repackaged the same stuff in smaller luggage. It was never gone. It’s time to release it and really let it go.

• See. Lundy says:

First of all I am LOL @ your username…but that is sooooo you. Honey, this message was birthed out of tears that I have shed so as those things of the past haunt you, get the lesson and move on. Satan wants to keep us down that’s why he’s always whispering in our ear and playing on our emotions. He makes us want to give up and give in… no that’s not happening over here.

1. Amber McGowan says:

Thanks Chuncee…I too have some baggage that needs to be left behind. As I was reading the words from Erykah Badu’s song came to mind. ” Bag lady you gone miss yo bus draggin all those bags like that.” Not sure if that’s totally correct but close enough. It makes sense as well as your message. Let’s not hinder what is in store for us holding on. It seems so hard at times when something occurs to bring the baggage back.

• See. Lundy says:

Amber that is totally right. We can’t get to our next destination because we are holding on to things of the past. As a matter of fact our vision is often clouded by our past experiences so we are afraid to move and even get on the bus.

2. Kay Burton says:

Hmmm, “overcome evil with good” Although I know this already, it means nothing until I put it into action. Your empowermoment has encouraged me to remove baggage and replace it with kindness to those that hurt me. This is a major step.

I love this post!! I feel empowered and encouraged.

• See. Lundy says:

Kay, that’s a MAJOR step. I can hold grudges like no other. I feel like I give people a lot of chances then I just decide that I am going to give them a dose of their own medecine. While I may not be friends with the person any longer who am I to hold malice against them.

3. EmpowerMoments - Take a MOMENT daily to EMPOWER you says:

First off, that picture is hilarious! Since Im a visual person, I kind of studied the picture and this is what I saw: Even the baggage is crying–it WANTS us to let it go! Its tired of being dragged along and cramped with other stuff…just what I saw!

Chancee, this is a great post. One thing that really stuck out to me was Romans 12:19-21. Although Ive heard this scripture many times, I never really realized that this is the epitome of the phrase “Kill ’em with kindness.” It says offering food and water heaps coal of fire on their head….NOW THATS DEEP. I will be meditating on that. THANKS!

(BTW, since I know you personally you know that I will be referencing this post when you need to hear it 🙂 )

• See. Lundy says:

Yes girl I thought that picture was funny too and it is doing exactly what you described that’s why I picked it. That scripture is VERY powerful. Your kindness will heap coals of fire on their head. Can we talk about how hard it is to be kind to someone that you don’t care for? Even in this scripture I know that God wants us to be genuine in all that we do so being kind just so they can get God’s vengeance may not be the best move either. I have a laundry list of people that I can be kind too. I do think that it is important to hold people accountable and let people know how they hurt you too even if you know that they know. 🙂

I write these words to be repeated so PLEASE BELIEVE that Mrs. Harris will be hearing them again.

4. Kristi Cofield says:

Thank you Chancee! This made me want to run on an see what the end gone be!! Trusting in GOD that everything is going to be ok!!

• See. Lundy says:

No you didn’t go old school on me!!! “Im gonna run on and see what the end gonna be.” LOL! Kristi keep pushing we all have our issues but its time to really let it go. So many of us are looking towards our future but holding on to bits of the past. It’s not gonna work.

5. Dee says:

Chancee….wonderful post!! Had a flash of someone that I really need to start showing kindness to even though that person doesn’t know how to show kindness. Guess I just realized that I have to show her “how” to be kind, huh?? OH WOW!!!…..just heard a little whisper in my ear…”aren’t I kind with you??” OK, I’m done. Gonna sit at my desk and be still because that just freaked me out just a bit. God bless you Sister!!

• See. Lundy says:

Thank you Dee! May God continually bless you and speak to you when you need it most. I am still a work in progress too.

6. Crystal Wiliams says:

Ms. Chancee, thank you so much 4 this Empowermoment, & O’Boy did I have a “MOMENT”…I think I am going to print this as well & post in my house 2 Remind me of only 2 Keep moving 4ward…I pray that God continues 2 Use You like Never Before! Love U w/the Love of Jesus…

• See. Lundy says:

Crystal, I appreciate your kind words. Sister I empower you to use these messages for their intended purpose to grow stronger in the Lord as you develop yourself. Some times we are sooo busy helping others figure out their issues that we often find ourselves “issued up.” I believe that the empowermoments were sent to help a lot of us with our own healing and I am blessed to be a part of this ministry team. I receive all of the prayers that you have for me in Jesus name.

7. Shakira Alexander says:

Such a poweful message/statement and yet we ALL experience some form of this nature. As I’ve gotten wiser/not older I’ve learn to free myself up from the most hurtful things that was holding me back. I believe also, its NOT a wise person to hold a grudge against a person, especially not knowin where they been/comin from. We neva know the matter of their hearts. Instead, its ALWAYS wise to reach out a hand, a kind word, a simple hello or a smile because in all honesty, this aint no competition, God want us all to realize He is the One & Only that sits on the throne, we jus need to get along like brothers & sistas & be pleasing to God’s eye’s. We were born humans, not CRABS!

• See. Lundy says:

Shakira you said something very powerful in your post. “we do not know where people are coming from” Most people are a reflection of their experience and “hurt people hurt people.” We deal with people who have had jacked up experiences and their own baggage and then we wonder why they lash out at us. This reminds me not to pick up other peoples’ luggage on my journey either. People come into our homes, our workspaces and through our telephones dropping off bags that does not belong to us…let that go too. Thanks Shakira!

8. Latasha says:

Chancee I LOVE this post! Personally, I do struggle with the bag lady syndrome and reading your post gave me a cure! I really like the fact that yoou were sure to include the fact that I need to stop picking up things along the way. I truly have TOO MUCH STUFF but I have an even longer journey to go so I am going to set most of these bags down and pick up more of Jesus! Thanks for sharing.

• See. Lundy says:

That’s a great tactic Tasha! How can I have room for Jesus when my mind and spirit are crowded with bags that quite honestly I should’ve let go a long time ago. Thanks Tasha!

9. Janelle says:

Thank you! This post touched me and I can totally relate. No more tears, but still holding on to alot…. Time to Forgive (myself mainly) and move on.

• See. Lundy says:

Janelle,

I am glad that you were blessed by this. It really did help me even though I was the one who was writing it. Letting go isn’t easy but it is possible.