Happy New Year from the EmpowerMoments Team! To allow our team time to enjoy our families, we will be on winter break until February 4, 2013. In the meantime, you will be able to catch up on some of our favorite EmpowerMoments’ series. This week we are featuring our favorite posts from the Black Music Month series. Have a blessed week!
Several years ago, I met a guy in college that completely changed my life. Let’s call him “Z”. He was never my boyfriend but we shared a special bond that literally made us inseparable. We spent almost every waking (and sleeping) moment together. Z and I scheduled classes together because we just wanted to be together. We conversed day in and out about social, political, religious, and pop cultural issues. Therefore, our minds were tied together. The endless time we spent together caused our hearts to intertwine. Our bodies were connected because of our sinful sexual acts and ultimately our souls became one because of all of those other connections. I was really okay with that because in my mind Z was my soul mate (even though God told me on SEVERAL occasions that we didn’t have a future together). As I said before, I had nearly everything from this man: his mind, his heart, his body and his soul but there was key component missing from the equation…I didn’t have his commitment. And it wasn’t that he couldn’t or wouldn’t commit to a woman because he was in fact committed–to someone else…
Long after this “relationship” ended, Z still occupied my heart, mind and soul. It seemed like the harder I tried to let him go, the more I was drawn to him. Some days I felt as if we were really meant to be together (and God would QUICKLY snap me back to reality.) Why couldn’t I just shake this dude? After all, I was an intelligent, successful, Godly woman who was now in a relationship with a man who loved me and vowed to commit the rest of his life to me. Well hundreds of tears and heartaches later, it finally clicked. I was trying to undo a spiritual tie with my natural power. Alas, I had the keys to unlock my soul from this prison that it was trapped in! How many of us know that we have no future with the “Z” in our life and that we need to walk away but just can’t seem to do it? Well sisters, it’s time to sever those ungodly soul ties and I’ve been assigned to help you do it:
- Step #1: Repent of any sins involving the two of you. Think deeply about this. I made the mistake of just repenting of fornication but there were so many other things that took place during our relationship that were contrary to the Word of God. If you can’t recall, ask the Holy Spirit to bring everything to your remembrance that needs to be addressed.
- Step #2: Forgive the person of any wrongdoings against you. You will never be able to release him if you walk around carrying negative feelings about the way he hurt you. I had to forgive Z for rejecting me and not choosing to be with me before I could really move on. If you have forgiveness issues, please refer to Pierced.
- Step #3: Renounce any covenants you made with him. I used to tell Z that “I would love him forever” and that “I wanted to be with him always.” Remember the Word of God says that the words that leave your mouth have POWER. (Proverbs 18:21) You have to cancel every spoken word that binds you to that person.
- Step #4: Get rid of any gifts from that person. I know that some of you are reading this with the side-eye but believe what I tell you. At some point, Z gave me a t-shirt. I LOVED this t-shirt because it represented where I was from—Chi-Town! I didn’t even realize that holding on to this shirt was keeping a piece of this man in my life. And get this—I only wore the shirt to sleep so every time I got in the bed with my husband, I was taking Z with me! Needless to say, once I got this revelation, I cut it up and threw it away! Get rid of the gifts; God will replace what you sacrifice in obedience.
- Step #5: Renounce and break the soul tie in Jesus’ name. This is the final and most important step. Open your mouth and verbally say: “I now renounce and loose myself from any ungodly soul ties formed between _________ and me, and I break these ungodly soul ties in Jesus’ name.” Now take a deep breath and exhale, you have released him!
With Jesus and through His name, you can break every ungodly soul tie! “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:36 NIV) Prayerfully, now that your soul is out of that knot, you feel free. And honey, I tell you aint no feeling like being free!
Help me to recognize soul ties that are not ordained by You. Then give me the will and power to break them in Jesus’ name. I want to be free! I thank You in advance for filling any empty places that will occur as a result of releasing him. Thank You for Your unfailing love! In Jesus’ name, Amen!
Ladies, I just told you ALL of my business to EMPOWER you to let him go! Free your soul by undoing the knot that was left behind. EMPOWER your sisters by praying for them to be free!
Celebrate your soul’s freedom with Destiny Child’s “Free”
Mrs. Kristen Harris is a wife, mother, entrepreneur and dedicated servant. She is extremely passionate about women’s spiritual advancement, hence the founding of EmpowerMoments. As an avid reader, Kristen enjoys reading the Bible and other non-fiction pieces. Her driving inspiration is when God says to her: “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) She currently resides outside of Chicago, Illinois with her wonderful husband and three lovely daughters where she is an active member of New Life Covenant Church.