In honor of Women’s Month, each writer will be writing our EmpowerMoments full of encouragement and lessons to our younger selves in a series titled Notes From Me To Me. Sit back and enjoy our reflections, and also think about what would you say to your younger self.
Dear younger me,
I know that what you are going through seems really rough right now in these teenage years, and you think when you get a little older and on your own things will be better because you will be in control of every aspect. However, I’m here to tell you that that’s not how it works. You will learn that quickly. So take a deep breath and let’s talk about this thing called life.
- Your life will not turn out the way you want it to. I know that sounds cruel, especially since you have it all planned out. You have to remember, though, that, “You were bought at a price, do not become slaves of men.”(1 Corinthians 7:23 NIV). The world likes to be in control but you let your Heavenly Father be in control without resistance from you. This life you are trying to plan out doesn’t belong to you. It belongs to someone who is greater and has something better in mind. So pray and ask God what He wants to do with it. He has your best interest in mind and He’s the one who can make it turn out greater than you ever thought it could! Let it go honey so you can work on purpose. It will make everything easier.
- Change will become your new best friend. I know right now you are used to things going a certain way. You are in your comfort zone, but you can’t stay there. Change is going to happen when you least expect it so get ready now! The way you do that is by getting deep in the word of God. You are not too young. This is your guide on those days when you feel confused and don’t know where to go or what to do. His word will be a lamp to your feet and a light to your path. (Psalms 119: 105 NIV)
- Start saving money now!!! You are young so this is the perfect time to get your finances together. If you get this down now, you are going to be in a better position later. Instead of worrying about how you’re going to make it, you will be able to help someone else who is struggling. Save little by little and watch it grow! (Proverbs 13:11 NIV)
- Rejection is a part of life. You are going to feel broken. You are going to wonder why. Be encouraged though because God has not rejected you. He accepts your flaws and all and He will NEVER leave you! He loves you and always will. Your rejection will help you see a little of what God experiences when you reject Him. The pain that you will feel will help you grow in your relationship with Christ. It will also help you to learn to let go of what you cannot control. It may not feel like it but it is a beautiful process and you are going to come out better on the other side! (1 Peter 2:4-5 NIV)
- You are worth the wait! You will be tempted and you will want to give in sometimes but know it will be worth it. People who don’t understand will try to convince you otherwise and some people will try to deceive you. Be prepared. Stand firm on God’s word and know that He has something great waiting for you. Remember, “You were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:20 NIV) This is your preparing season so get your heart and mind right for when God transitions you. Trust me that you are dodging some bullets and will be so thankful later! “Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you. Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.” (Song of Solomon 8:4NIV) It may not happen when you want it but it will happen…..one day.
- Don’t be afraid. “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline.” (2 Timothy 1:7 NIV) Watch who you listen to, the music you hear, and the things you watch. The spirit of fear is everywhere and will try to take over every aspect of your life. Don’t let it. It shows lack of faith and trust in God and also will keep you from so many blessings God has for you to share with others. Be bold for God. It looks great on you!
Thank You for walking through this journey called life with me. Help me to remember that You have already mapped it out for me, and if I study Your word, I will know what to do. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Ladies, I EMPOWER you to let go and give your life to God in every aspect. He has a brilliant plan in place. If you get on board with Him, you will see all He has in store for you. He loves you more than anyone ever could and He will always make sure you are taken care of, so trust him!
Misha White currently resides in Daphne, AL and is a recent graduate of Tennessee State University with a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Biology. She aspires to serve women to achieve the best spiritual and physical health possible using the Word of God, regular exercise, and healthy eating habits. She is a loving friend, sister, and daughter. One of her favorite scriptures is John 16:33 (NIV), “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”